The St. Regis Princeville, on Kauai—gorgeous grounds for a same-sex Hawaiian wedding

The St. Regis Princeville, on Kauai—gorgeous grounds for a same-sex Hawaiian wedding

In less than two weeks, on December 2,  same-sex couples will be able to legally apply to marry in Hawaii, and the state anticipates $217 million in increased tourism revenue as a result. Which is great, but we’re surprised that they haven’t yet put a few pennies from that imminent windfall toward updating their website, which still uses gender-specific language to explain how the system works. (“The prospective bride and groom must appear together in person before a marriage license agent to apply for a marriage license…”)

While they’re getting their act together, and you’re deciding where to have your Hawaiian destination wedding, here are the basics:

You must first fill out the marriage license application form, available on the state of Hawaii website. (Same-sex couples cannot use the application until December 2.) You’ll need  the name of your licensed minister or marriage performer; if you don’t have one, call the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau for a list: 808-924-0266.

Neither partner needs to be a resident of Hawaii (or even a U.S. citizen); however, you must both be at least 18 years old. (Written parental consent is necessary if you’re younger.) No blood tests are required.

If either of you were previously married, you need the original divorce decree or spouse’s death certificate if the divorce was finalized or if the death occurred within 30 days of the application for a marriage license.

Assemble the completed form, proof or age and death or divorce decree, and $60 (cash) and make an appointment to visit a marriage license agent in Honolulu (on Oahu) or on Maui, Lanai, Molokai, Kauai, or the Big Island—there are about 30 agents in the islands, some based at resorts. Click here for a full list.  Both applicants must appear together, and proxies are not allowed. When the application is approved a marriage license is issued immediately. It’s only good for 30 days, so if you’re traveling from the mainland, chances are you’ll get the license and get married on the same trip.

Your wedding officiant is responsible for preparing the final document and submitting it to the Hawaii Marriage License Office to be finalized and recorded. You’ll receive your marriage certificate in the mail.

Simple, right? Now all you need is to decide where to do the deed. Our guide to eight amazing Hawaiian destination wedding resorts is the place to start.

[blankline] [blankline]


Want to know more about planning destination wedding travel to Hawaiian resorts? Our travel partners at Coastline Travel Advisors, a Virtuoso agency, are ready to help.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *